Community Garden Rules
Summer is right around the corner and a great way to enjoy summer (and the seemingly infinite hours of sunlight in Alaska) is by maintaining a plot in one of our community gardens! Any current resident is eligible to apply.
COMMIT TO GARDENING
- Key Pickup will occur at the follow dates and times
- Tuesday May 17th 6350 Arctic Warrior Drive 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Wednesday May 18th 6350 Arctic Warrior Drive 11:00am-5:00pm
- Friday May 20th 338 Hoonah Ave 10:00am-2:00pm
- Monday May 23rd 338 Hoonah Ave 10:00am-2:00pm
- Any assigned plot that does not show active gardening by or after 11 June will be considered abandoned and will be reassigned.
- Adequate plot maintenance means ensuring garden receives enough moisture to thrive, weed removal as often as necessary to keep weed free and overall care of the plot to keep in a neat, tidy, and visually appealing manner.
- Plots must be cleaned up of all dead plants, weeds, excessive organic mulch, all artificial mulch, black plastic, trellises, cages, etc. no later than 1 October.
- Planting of mint, catnip, raspberries, strawberries or other perennial or invasive plants is prohibited.
- Use of herbicides is not allowed due to the proximity of other garden plots and the danger of overspray and wind drift.
- Do not use flags/flagging or other decor in the garden. Let your plants be the decorations!
- Use of sheets, plastic, tarps or additional fencing is not permitted, only black plastic as weed barrier is acceptable.
- Be conscious of others’ and their gardens- do not touch, modify, or damage other users’ plots.
- Be respectful of the garden infrastructure- lock the gate when done, do not mount things to fences, and clean up after you’re done. We have a green waste dumpster located on site for your convenience, all other trash should be disposed of off site.
- Pets are not permitted in the garden plot area.
- Leave the hose for the next user.
- Residents are solely responsible for actions or events caused by themselves, their children, their pets, or their guests, either accidental or negligent, which cause loss or damage to another garden plot user, their property or their garden plot, or to the property of Aurora Military Housing (AMH).
- Aurora reserves the right to modify these policies at any time.
- Failure to comply with the above requirements will result in loss of garden plot access.